Saturday, June 17, 2006

Have you seen me?

There’s a magazine in Birmingham called, “About Town: Birmingham*s Social Scene.” I think that it is distributed monthly. It’s “complimentary” (presumably paid for by advertisements). It’s a magazine that shows pictures of all of Birmingham*s beautiful people who attend all of Birmingham*s beautiful events. I had the opportunity to be in it once, I opted out – so it looked like Laura was going stage(ette?) to the function we were attending.

When we pick up a copy, we can pretty much guarantee that we’ll see someone we know pictured at some gala, some fund raising even, or some other evening event.

I really don’t know why I am so absolutely attracted to this magazine. Maybe it’s the hope of being famous by association. Maybe it’s the joy of seeing familiar faces. Maybe it’s the comfort of feeling like I’m home.

But to be quite honest, it’s probably the whole popularity by association deal.

In a related note, we were walking through Brookwood tonight and I stopped into Books-A-Million to check out the magazine rack while my lovely wife checked out some clothing. There was a magazine entitled “Birmingham,” and its feature story was, “The Most Beautiful People in Birmingham.” I skimmed through that too, but I didn’t know anyone there. My favorite was the last guy. The list was not necessarily proportional to Birmingham’s makeup (it’s been a while, but I thought that the last time I checked, Jeffco was predominantly African-American, these people were predominantly white). Most of the people it showed were working in the medical profession.

That is, all but the last guy.

He was something of a “Day Laborer” at Birmingham Steel (?) – I think.

Walking away, I was talking to Laura about it all. She asked, “Were you in there.” I said, “Of course not, I mean, they would have called me if I was.” She laughed hysterically at my answer – it’s the kind of thing that sort of implies, “If they would have known, they would have placed me in the spread.” Right?

I’m assuming that’s why she’s laughing.

If you want to check it out “About Town”, click here.

If you want to check me out, sorry I’m already taken. Perhaps you’ll see me out in Birmingham*s Social Scene though.

1 comment:

Jason Harmon said...

I checked out the About Town link, to see how popular I am. Of the three parties that I have now virtually attended I saw one familiar face. I only know her by association though. One of Amanda's old roomates is in there. If you'd like to see for yourself so you can get a gauge of my popularity based on her wardrobe, attractiveness, and also the wardrobes and attractivenesses of her friends she was at the Las Vegas party, wearing a bright red dress.