Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Bad religion...

What happens when you mix a desire for all things Christian with a desire for all things [i.e. general and mass consumerism]? Enter forth: Thomas Kinkade's Paint by Number distributed by Rose Art.

As every day passes, I am ever more amazed at what one is able to purchase at my favorite online retailer [amazon.com]. I found this gem while looking in the "Toys and Games," section [always on the prowl for a good game and a great deal - Amazon had an advert for percentages off on certain toys and games] and was blown away not only by the product I'd found, but the single review of the product I found.

The reviewer was "totally disappointed" by their purchase and warned that only one "skilled at manipulating paint" would be able to salvage the project.

I left what may have seemed like an "unChristlike" comment on her review [because you can leave comments on amazon now, which is a wonderfully fun feature]. You can feel free to read it there via the link that is the picture of the paint by number product on this page, but the tone is about the same as this post.

Note, I did say "seemed" at the beginning of the previous paragraph.

I just don't think that Christ would really dig a Thomas Kinkade Paint by Number product either. It just doesn't seem pleasing or good or excellent. As with most speculation, this may be worthless.

All to say, I don't think I'm an art snob because I'm married to an artist. I'm just vocally opinionated about crap trying to be passed as something "good." I mean, looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, smells like a duck...you know?

4 comments:

Laura said...

I think I'm going to make some of my stuff available for paint-by-number. Great idea!

Jason Harmon said...

Kincade rules dude. Do you have any idea how hard it is to paint all of those tiny puzzle pieces and have them all match up and look so wonderful? Me either, but I bet its freakin' hard.
And how can that lady think that her paint by number set could ever compare to a masterwork of Kincade... they would practically have to go all the way up to infinity to capture the essence of of his visions.

G. Twilley said...

You guys are funny.
I am glad that you are my wife and good friend [respectively; though, my wife is also a good frined].

I've been to infinity before. It looks a lot more hopeful than Kinkade's paintings...

~k/c~ said...

hi- you stopped by my site so i stopped by yours and browsed a bit- love it, and your wife's too--

this post especially finds me at a crossroads in my own life : Where IS the line of need and greed concerning "christian" products?

Would Jesus wear a WWJD breacelet?
Is a VEGGIE TALES shaped chicken nugget really an effective tool to further the Kingdom?
Should churches have cafes and bookstores?

what do you think?