Sunday, July 16, 2006

When dreams belie reality...

Laura has told me of reoccurring dreams where she’s losing her teeth. I’ve heard others talk about the same. Sometimes, our dreams are so outlandish that you know something’s up even while you’re having them.

I’ve had a few dreams involving my dad as of late (He passed over a year ago). None of them are reoccurring, but he is. What’s funny is that it’s not that he’s in my dream that seems so out of place – I don’t think of him being dead when I see him in my dream. What is so bizarre is that he’s usually performing some sort of action that I just know he would never do.

Take last night, for example.

I dreamed that we kept driving past this restaurant in a dumpy part of town. It’s a place that I had never been to, but it was a place that everyone seemed to know in the dream. The restaurant was called “The Privates,” and it was supposed to be a real swanky place.

Aberration number one is that my dad never went to a swanky place, as far as I know. If we ever went out, it was to a buffet.

So, we were in luck. The Privates was not only swanky, but a buffet. I walked in and looked at what they had – all I can remember is steam pans full of roasted chicken thighs and strawberry cake and white icing. No, not at all appetizing.

The deal with the Privates is that you had to be a member, which costs $9. This was aberration number 2 as my dad would never have paid to be a member just to eat at a place.

We were in luck, however, as Privates had a special – buy one dinner, get one free. The third and forth aberration are coming up. Three is that the meal cost $29, which is about $20 more than my dad would have ever paid for a buffet. No worries, however, as it was (as stated) buy one get one free. The fourth was that my dad said that my sister and I could pretend like we’re married to get the discount. Enough said. Thankfully, that wasn’t required as you didn’t have to be married to participate.

So, we fork over the $100 ($94 if you want to be exact) and start moving. We were all given dinner passes in order to eat. I walk towards the buffet and a woman in an orange dress stands up and asks in a snooty tone as to the location of my dinner card. I start searching and she tells me that it’s obvious that I have it since I’m looking for it. She decides to start leaving and I yell at her, “No, you’re staying right hear until I find that card.” I find it, and show it to her. My dad told me that I didn’t have to do that.

I’m not going to pretend that I have a clue as to what any of this means. But what interests me is that I’m not alarmed by the fact that my father is walking around posthumously. What disturbs me is that he’s paying $29 for some swanky buffet called “The Privates.” Strange, isn’t it?

4 comments:

Paige said...

Thanks for checking our blog Gene...of course I remember you and laura! We too can't believe how great the interview went. It even took only 1 and 1/2 months for us to get the interview after we applied. It really can be so frustrating because you never know what to expect from immigration. I will pray for that girl who is still awaiting her interview. tell Laura hello for me:) By the way, your blog needs more pics of you two:)

katie said...

your dream is hillarious! but, i'm dying to know what you guys ate. i think that's the key to the interpretation.
(btw, thanks for the dorky name to our site!)

Anonymous said...

Uh, maybe I'm the only one, but, what kind of food is on the buffet line @ "The Privates?" I may know why it was $29 a plate!

katie said...

i forgot to add that i have dreams that my teeth are falling out too and i think now that it's because i clench my teeth at night. nonetheless, it's a scary dream!