Thursday, July 20, 2006

When did we become so angry?

One of the things that I notice and love to hate about myself and others is how angry we can be about…well…everything.

We can say that the root of it all is sin. Yes. I agree.

Still yet, there is a sin behind the sin, isn’t there? I mean, at some point someone is wronged, that one then retaliates against those who wronged them. The one who has committed the initial wrong maybe feels like the one who was initially wrong went a little too far in their wronging of the one who initialized. The next thing you know you have two countries drawing on international powers to commit war because two men in one of the countries were kidnapped.

But I’m not writing about that – it seems that so often we take matters that seem to be somewhat simple and make them into an absolute and awful quagmire. You see, two men (2) were kidnapped in Israel by Hezbollah based out of Lebanon (as if you haven’t heard). As of 19 hours ago, over three hundred (300) Lebanese were reported as being dead. Additionally, nearly thirty (30) Israelis are dead.

Meanwhile, George Bush speaks out of both sides of his mouth. On the one end he says no to stem cell research due to his belief that embryos are indicative of the formation of human beings and have a right to life. On the other hand, Israel has the right to destroy life for the sake of self preservation.

Right. The ratio of 30 to 300 sounds like there’s a fair fight going on.

My point? All of this because two men were kidnapped? At this point, Israel has lost 15 times that amount, Lebanon has lost 150 times that amount. At this point, our countries representative to the United Nations is standing firm in that Israel should not call a cease fire until Hezbollah does.

My point – All of this because man is, in his very core, prideful. All of this because man, in his heart of hearts, is more afraid of seeming weak than he is of being truly strong and consistent.

Along the way, every day of my life, I see little microcosms of the IsraelLebanon conflict. This anger that seems to well up. Maybe it was someone who was wronged by CO and they decide to rail against the ministry. Maybe it was someone who felt like they were wronged by Briarwood so they rail against the church. Maybe it was someone who was wronged by their manager, so they interrupt an entire meeting to seethe their hatred and communicate their anger.

Along the way, every day of my life, I see character dying. I see life disappearing and bitterness taking over. When did we all become so very angry? Ah…that was the question, wasn’t it?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Gene! It's Angela Dossey! So interesting to read what you have been up to lately. I think I found your blog off of Katie's. I am now an official subscriber to your blog - hope you don't mind! Sorry this isn't a direct comment on what you wrote. I'll do better, I promise. =)
P.S. I have one too!

jeff said...

Gene, i see what you mean. A general just wouldn't suffice.
Maybe, the sin is self-preservation. After being hurt once, twice or thrice its easy to become defensive. Defensiveness is a way to preserve self and misguided anger seems to be the weapon. i would like to think of myself better than that, but squeeze something hard enough and whatever is inside will come out. good thoughts, Gene

jeff said...

general answer that is...

Anonymous said...

Anger is a medium of which I am well acquainted and proficient. It is certainly dangerous and rooted in abundant sin. This is a great topic to discuss. Currently though I am more curious with your analysis of the current state of affairs regarding Israel/Hezbollah. Since when was war supposed to be "fair"? Is war a just solution? Certainly never the best solution. Do the ends ever justify the means? If Lebanon chooses to allow a terrorist organization to grow and multiply in its borders, are they not responsible for the consequences brought on by their choices? Is this simply an overreaction to one incindent or a frustrated buildup from years of giving and having more and more taken? Certainly I have my opinions...but I am also uncertain where all of my opinions are headed. This is making me angry...