Thursday, January 28, 2010

Leggo my LEGO's

When I was younger, I loved playing with LEGO's. And when I say loved, I mean that there wasn't much else I would play with.

Times were kind of strange for us, I guess. You see... I never had a Nintendo. I never had a Sega Genesis. I never had a Commodore 64. However, I had an Atari 2600. I also had buckets of LEGO's. Stranger - I was never allowed to have GI Joe's (not until I was older than 10 I think). A lot of this is discussion for another time, but for now we'll focus on the LEGO's.

I used to build, disassemble and then build again. There was nothing like opening a brand new box, following the directions to a T and then deciding the fate of various parts on my own. For me, most of what I built revolved around space ships and futuristic vehicles (I was also enamoured with Star Wars). I always enjoyed showing my dad what I had "invented."

I guess it's that whole idea of creating something that tends to get us going - right?

In any case, here are several sites where people have taken LEGO sculpting into an entirely different (by different, I mean stratospheric) level:

This is a sculpture by Nathan Sawaya - out of the three that I'm linking to tonight, I probably liked
his stuff the best. Everything on Nathan's site is so creative and detailed - I definitely think that it's worth your time to check it out. You can see more of his work by clicking here.

Another LEGO artist was Henry Lim. The interesting sculpture he had was of a massive Stegosaurus (or...LEGOsaurus - har har). You can view his site by clicking here.

Lastly, there's Eric Harbarger - I'm more amazed by the sheer amount of work he's done with LEGO's. Visit his site by clicking here.

So... don't get me wrong - this isn't an all-inclusive list - but it's something of a start. I know that there's a lot more out there - but this is what I could find tonight. Enjoy!

2 comments:

no longer working said...

wow wow wow

G. Twilley said...

seriously - right?