Saturday, December 29, 2007

Gene *Hearts* Winter.

No, winter is not the name of a person, not in the particular context I'm speaking of anyways.

Winter is the time of year when you breathe in the type of air you can taste - air that comes from high atop mountains from far away, that falls slowly from thin clouds in the sky, and that infiltrates through your very flesh and into your bones. It is that time that makes you draw close to others out of necessity, an not mere desire. Winter is definitely a time of year that I love.

You may have already seen some of these pictures on Laura's blog, but I'm posting a few here. It was such a fun time for us - which was a much needed relief from the monotony, divisiveness, and heartache of life. We probably saw more snow than we've seen in our collective lives and generally loved most of the time we had with each other.

I couldn't help but post this picture of Laura because it really encapsulates the fun we had with each other. The blur beside her right hand is a snow ball that she threw at me [without as much success as some of her others].

I also love winter because of the season it brings - we've enjoyed having Laura's family up over this weekend and are currently taking a "time out," from running around (we walked all around NYC yesterday and around the Schuylkill River today - we plan on heading out again tonight). I love the idea of reconnecting with family and friends and hate the fact that I don't do it more often.

On another subject, I read through The Road about a week and a half ago and think it may definitely be worth your read. I'll be posting a review soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved The Road. It was my first Cormac McCarthy book and I am so glad I started with this one. Can't wait to read your review.

BTW, if you haven't seen the film adaptation of his book, No Country for Old Men by the Coen brothers, go see it. It's the best film I've seen in a really long time.

Anonymous said...

Gene, I'm so envious of you and L right now. I am missing the Winter weather and more importantly snow very, very much. Down here we NEVER get snow anymore. I'm just dying to get to some mountains some where and do some skiing or boarding.

Glad to hear you guys are doing well and enjoying it up there.

@Brian - I'm going to take your advice and go see that movie. You're not the first person who has said that.

G. Twilley said...

I've heard several differing viewpoints on the movie, but I still think I want to see it - thanks for the suggesting B.

Jonathan - thanks for stopping by to comment! I hear you guys are supposed to have some snow soon, but I know how that tends to go. You should come up to PA - you could use our place as a sort of "home base" and drive out to some local ski places.

Of course, I am only assuming that there even are local ski places.