Sunday, April 01, 2007

Kicked in the face like Danny LaRusso

I remember that Brian had quoted C.S. Lewis regarding the Sermon on the Mount a few years ago as the Collegiate pastor at Briarwood and I thought that it would be worth finding (googling) and posting here.

“As to ‘caring for’ the Sermon on the Mount, if ‘caring for’ here means ‘liking’ or enjoying, I suppose no one ‘cares for’ it. Who can like being knocked flat on his face by a sledge-hammer? I can hardly imagine a more deadly spiritual condition than that of the man who can read that passage with tranquil pleasure." - C.S. Lewis

From time to time, I find myself gravitating towards this very passage. It wasn't until recently that I was "knocked on my face," by it, however. It came at the end of the sermon when Jesus said, "Everyone who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who build his house on the rock." Maybe it's strange to you, but it hit me hard because even by a casual reading of these chapters I can see how poor my spirit is. Right now, I'm hitting the study deep, and I'll post some of what I'm learning here as Jesus keeps kicking me in the face like Danny Larusso taking out his opponents with a Crane Kick.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm preaching through the SOM this summer at Grace, I'll let you know if I can dig up any more juicy quotes. (Sweep the Leg!!)

ch said...

It amazes me how easy it is for me to become complacent with my relationship with God.

I'll be looking foward to your posts.

Oh and props on the Karate Kid reference!

G. Twilley said...

Brian: Do so!

Chigbee: Thanks for stopping again. I hope to not disappoint. Give me 3 months. I'll be dropping transformer quotes like a 5 year old (again).